Following a meeting in December 2005, Dóchas members and other Irish Development NGOs set up a forum for the exchange of practice and experience in the field of Human Resources Management for Development NGOs.
The purposes of the Forum include:
- To enable participants to touch base with each other;
- To feed into and learn from other, non-Irish, networks;
- To crystallise issues, to which 'service' organisations like DTALK and People In Aid can respond, eg organisational learning;
- Be an information-sharing and learning environment;
- Represent to government on proposed initiatives eg volunteering, rapid response.
Some of the strategic and practical issues identified by the group as meriting further reflection included:
- Management and Policy Issues: People Management, Accountability systems, Dealing with Restructuring and establishing a clear HR identity for the Development sector.
- General policy or legal issues: Reward policies and practice, Benchmarking and Equity issues.
- Recruitment related issues: Recruitment, Retention and surge capacity in emergencies, etc.
- Learning and development related issues: Learning and Training, Accreditation of aidworker skills.
- Staff health, safety and security related issues: Stress Management, Security, Briefing, debriefing, counselling, Insurance & health cover
- People In Aid Code of Good Practice on Human Resources
- Code of Conduct on Volunteering
- Caring for Others, Caring for Yourself - A Guide for Humanitarian, Health Care, and Human Rights Workers